Hip Hop Songs That I Didn't Include on the Radio

I mentioned it on my radio show, and then I got busy. Finally, here are the songs I wanted to include in my episode Hippity Hop (listen here).

I am limited in what I can play on my radio show by appropriate content. Therefore, explicit songs are pretty much off-limits. That doesn't mean I don't like them though. My focus for this list is women in hip hop because women are rare in hip hop, and because of it, face their own unique challenges. So let's honor some female hip hop stars!


Megan Thee Stallion ft. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign - Hot Girl Summer


I'm not super up to date on the world of hip hop, it is, in fact, one of my weaknesses in musical knowledge. If I were to rank my knowledge of music genres, it would probably go like this pop > classical = jazz = rock > rap/hip hop > other > country (sorry country music lovers). This doesn't completely speak to my music preferences, for example, I know more about jazz because I took a class on it.

Long story short, I don't keep up on hip hop. Fun fact time! The first time I heard of Megan Thee Stallion was at a New Year's Party just this year! Naturally, I wanted to include this song because she is a rising star, and not only that, but it features an established female hip hop star alongside her. Now, that is something I can get behind.

Doja Cat ft. Rico Nasty - Tia Tamera


Speaking of me behind on hip hop, my super awesome guest host Michael introduced me to Doja Cat (Thanks Michael!) I chose this song because mentioning Tia Tamera not only shows a good sense of humor but really is pulling some stuff out of the vaults of my memory.

Queen Latifah - U.N.I.T.Y.


Before Queen Latifah starred in one of the best recent movie musicals (hint it's not Cats), she was a Grammy-award-winning rapper. That just goes to show the versatility of musicians. Plus, this song's got a nice 90s beat that makes you want to step into a time machine to when there is no coronavirus... but then you remember that the internet sucked in the 90s and you head back to the modern-day so you can read my blog again.

Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On


Missy Elliott was the first female rapper to be inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, and for good reason too. The song is so catchy that, having listened to it as I'm writing this post, it will be stuck in my head while I am trying to fall asleep tonight. Conclusion: good rap is insomnia-producing.

Well, I best get going to bed, let's all hope my insomnia is only a temporary issue

Speaking of pandas, I didn't include the song "Panda" on my show... Oh well, missed opportunity...


Hey, and if you like hip hop, feel free to share it with me. I love new music, and pretty much all hip hop is new music to me. Share music, not germs!